Title: Street Child (rev 01) 1/?
Warnings: Child Abuse, Gore, Murder, Severitus,
Disclaimer: Nope, doesn’t belong to me. I only play with them a bit.
Summary: This is one of my babies and I want to finish it. I believe this one has some original things to add to the usual plots of street Harry. I hope the muses return soon so I can finish this one. There is much more to it. I had started this one as a Severitus, but I’m thinking of just making it a Severus adopts Harry thing… not sure yet it will depend on where the story takes me.
- Severitus sort of.
- Starts roughly when Harry is 5 years old.
- The Dursleys have kept him hidden, so few people know of him .They would have to send him to school and they don’t want to. So Petunia suggests they leave him in London, pretending he got lost. Harry doesn’t know were they live and what their last names are.
- They leave Harry, and the child spends a couple of days on his own. He gets lucky when a young teen member of a gang takes pity of him and takes him in.
- Life is rough for the gang but they have an old abandoned building as their house. They are mostly pickpockets, though they sometimes do small robberies to get food. Harry learns from them the trade.
- Harry gets the nickname of `The Freak’ as weird things always happen to him. But the girl that took him in named him Ewan, saying she once had a little brother by that name. Her name is Trudy.
- From now on:
Ewan = Harry
Freak = Harry
- The gang breaks up when Ewan is 7. Most members died in a fire in their old building one winter. He gets a few scars from hot glass on his forehead that camouflages the lightning bolt. He saved himself and Trudy by apparating it was after this that he realized he had control over the Freaky things that happened to him, and he began working on controlling it.
- Trudy, having no gang or a place to live and Ewan, becomes a prostitute.
- Ewan learns how to become an animagus and becomes an even better pick pocket as he uses magic. He also becomes an excellent street fighter and a loner. When he’s 9 he goes to live on his own as Trudy brings her customers to her meagre apartment and a few have been interested in him. She doesn’t want him to become a prostitute so young.
- As he lives on an old decrepit, abandoned building Ewan picks a companion he names Duds. He is the only pup that survived from a litter of 5 that a bitch had in one of the apartments. They become very close and Duds is a very smart, loyal dog that has somewhere in its mixed bloodline a wolfhound or two and probably a mastiff because he grows really big.
- Ewan also picks an odd black snake that someone abandoned to die. It’s with ‘Yassissa’ that he realizes he can talk to snakes. She’s an 8 foot long magical cobra from India. Because of her magical nature she and Duds become Friends.
- Ewan can become several animals though he prefers the raven, a small black wolf with green eyes and the calico cat with his green eyes.
- The Freak is well known by other street kids and the patrolmen of the area. He’s ended in prison only a couple of times because of street fights. But no one has been able to pin him for pick pocketing. He’s sent to children homes and simply apparates away when no one is looking.
- A few of the kids consider him crazy because he’s been known to make odd sounds as if actually speaking to the snake.
- The ASPCA has tried to take ‘Yassissa’ from him, but she’s never found. The “Sacred Guardian Cobra” -her species- can disillusion itself.
- During winter Ewan’s been known to do menial jobs as a way to get some warm food, since there is more difficulty for picking a pocket under layers of cloth.
- He one day (after his 11th birthday) receives a letter carried by an owl. He thinks nothing of it and uses it to start a fire to heat some food. He doesn’t know how to read though he can add and subtract. That was his Hogwarts letter.
- For a couple of years there had been several killings of prostitutes, runaways and drug addicts in the whole area of London and surrounding counties. The local police and Scotland Yard have not been able to capture the strange serial killer that leaves absolutely no clues. No finger prints, no foot prints, no hair. His victims were tortured but no one had heard a thing.
- Ewan worried for Trudy, she was at risk being a prostitute. Most nights he stood guard along with Duds and Yassissa at the corner were she picked her clients.
- At Hogwarts there was a lot of confusion and worry when Harry Potter did not arrive to the feast on Sept. 1st.
- Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall and Severus Snape paid a visit to the Dursleys. After Veritasserum they find out they abandoned a 5 year old to his fate in the city. They have to report it to the Ministry. It was, after all, the newly elected ministry who insisted the child be placed in his relative’s custody, despite Dumbledore’s comments of McGonagall’s findings.
- The problem of the serial killer in muggle London became that summer a problem of the Ministry when 2 young witches, Hogwarts students, one muggle born, the other a half-blood were murdered. The Aurors found out they were not the only ones. The killer was a wizard; they -the victims- were tortured with cruciatus, and other Dark Curses, as well as potions. The killer had left the vials but it had not left a clue and the muggle authorities didn’t know better.
- When after 3 months passed and the Ministry Potions Masters were still stumped about the potions, Kingsley Shacklebolt the Auror in charge of the investigation decided to recruit, Hogwarts Potions Master, and member of the Order or the Phoenix. He was after all the best brewer of Potions in England; and since they had not been successful in finding Harry Potter they might try to solve both.
- Some of Shacklebolt colleagues weren’t ‘thrilled’ to have to end asking Snape for help. The man had been a Death Eater that avoided Azkaban because Dumbledore had vouched for him. He was also sarcastic, and disagreeable. A few of the junior Aurors had been his students. In the end, Amelia bones the head of Magical Law Enforcement approved Snape’s inclusion into the investigating team, and decided they would have to work along with the muggles.
- For cases like these, the magical Law Enforcement agency had contacts with its equivalent in the muggle world if Snape agreed he and Shacklebolt -after receiving some very quick and thorough training by the unspeakables- would be joining the muggles.
- Snape wasn’t too trilled about being asked to join the investigation as he had to teach. But having his abilities recognized was pleasing for his ego. And using his weekends to search for the Potter brat was bothersome. Receiving his full teaching/Head of House wages as well as compensation by the Ministry and all expenses paid was also interesting. Besides, he knew no one else in the Ministry had knowledge of muggle science as he did. His thirst for knowledge had crossed the prejudice barriers.
- He and Shacklebolt received their quick knowledge transplant (a procedure that transplanted the knowledge of the muggle world and technology). So they could pass as muggles with no embarrassing conversations that would make the detectives naturally suspicious.
- The head of the investigation was, luckily for them a squib. He was relieved to find wizards would be helping. Inspector Abbe Carlyle suspected the murders were perpetuated by a wizard and it frustrated him beyond words being unable to do much.
- Dressed as muggles, both in warm slacks, sweaters and boots, with Snape’s hair in a pony tail. They visited Carlyle’s office and pored over the evidence.
Severus had brought a bag with some of the equipment and potions he would need to analyze the evidence. He had been beyond furious when he discovered the imbeciles at the Ministry had corrupted the evidence beyond its usability. He hoped the muggles had been more careful. They had a chance to see the pictures of the crime scenes, and even if they were static they were gruesome. The victims were mutilated; a few organs either partially removed or completely missing. They were bound, but not gagged. Some of the lacerations suggested cruciatus; in fact, Severus found it all too familiar.
“Death Eaters,” was all Snape said after seeing the images.
“But…. aren’t all either dead or in prison?” Shacklebolt asked shocked. They hadn’t had that much information on their two cases. He had to admit that despite lacking magic the muggles did an excellent Job so far.
“You’re immensely naive if you think the Ministry got them all. A few, like Malfoy for example waltzed out of court with no trouble. But I know others fled the country, and it seems one decided to return.”
“Any ideas as to who?”
“No, but whoever it is, is collecting potion ingredients. I can think of several dark potions that required those organs he, or she, is taking.”
“We might start with a list of those you remember being able to brew potions.” Kingsley suggested and was rewarded with a sneer.
“That would be an interesting list. One I wasn’t privy of. I knew that he had several potions masters in his ranks, but not who they were. I had not completed my mastery at the time; and though I excelled in poisons, he used brews from others.”
“So we’re stumped?”
“Perhaps,” was the Potions Master’s answer.
They had kept looking at the evidence. Snape was able to determine some, though not all of the components of the potion. Whoever brewed it was well versed in muggle chemistry, since the thing included various non-magical components. Shacklebolt was able to detect magical residue on a few of the victims’ clothes. Two unforgivables ‘Imperius’ and ‘Cruciatus’ were used; as well as a body bind. Both took copious notes and copies of the reports to analyze them.
What not only perplexed the muggles but them too, was the frequency of the killings; never less than a week apart, or more than a month. Severus believed the killer could be experimenting with new potions, or with modifying an existing one. Since Severus house was in the Northern part of England and Hogwarts in Scotland, the Ministry provided him with a flat with the necessary things to communicate in both worlds. If there was another killing the muggles could locate him easily: The flat also had annexed a special room to function as his potions workroom complete with all kinds of books and ingredients. Kingsley lived a couple of blocks from Diagon alley in a mixed muggle/wizard neighbourhood so it was no problem to locate him.
Severus set to work on reproducing and researching the potion for clues.
Ewan limped painfully on his way to Trudy’s corner. It was already late, but she rarely took clients if he wasn’t close by. It had been one of those bad days for the boy. He had woken up with a fever and hurting all over. The result of being caught in a cold rain a few days before. Pick pocketing didn’t do all that well either, just enough for two small cans of cat food. He wasn’t picky and ate one, while he gave the other to Duds. Yassissa had hunted a nice plump rat only two days before, so it probably wouldn’t need to eat for a few days more. He only got worse as the day grew colder and progressed; as a nasty cough added itself over watery eyes and runny nose. To make matters worse, he inadventely passed through one of the most ruthless gangs’ territory. These guys were vicious and hated him. He had, after all, scarred their leader’s face in a knife fight.
The gang members had delivered a beating that knocked him out for a good few hours, and when he came to he’d been frankly surprised to still be alive. After gathering his wits and making sure both Duds and Yassissa we re fine, she had bitten one, though had only injected mild venom: he stood up and went to Trudy. She would patch him up, as she always did, once she was done with her night work. To his immense surprise he found there were patrol cars and a lot of police men in the corner all coming and going to the alley way a few paces further down the street. He recognized a couple of the girls that worked there regularly, but he didn’t see Trudy. So he asked.
“Maddy where’s Trudy?” His voice was laden with worry that only grew when he saw her horror stricken face. “She’s wit’ a john righ’? righ’?
“I’m sorry Freak,” she sobbed.” I’m really sorry, he… he… got her”
“No, no! That’s not true!” He shook his head in denial and made to walk towards the alley. She stopped him.
“Please don’t go there,” she asked him, but he shook her hands off, had a hard bout of coughing and headed to the alley resolutely. A police officer tried to keep him out of the crime scene perimeter, but the hiss of a cobra with its hood fully extended and ready to strike was enough to make anyone back out of his way. Duds growling just added to it. He made his way slowly to were some people were clustered around something on the floor, then saw patrol officer McCloud -this was the area for his rounds- so they had come to know each other, coming towards him
“Freak how in hell did you get through Lindley?” Then his eyes settled on the dog and cobra. “Those pets of yours…”
“Yeah, tha’ ain’t Trudy ain’t i’?” he asked eyes fixed on the group of people.
“I’m sorry lad, it’s her all right, and one of the girls has already identified her.”
“Let me see ‘er,” he said in a hoarse tone of voice.
“You can’t Freak, it’s… it’s not a pretty sight.”
“She’s me friend, me only friend, let me see ‘er.” He asked attempting to pass. The patrol officer held him but released the boy as the cobra struck.
#Don’t hurt him!# Ewan hissed in parseltongue barely fast enough to have Yassissa curve her bite.
Severus recognized the language immediately, as he spoke it too. Most Snapes did though few people knew about it, Severus father had not been among those with the gift, and his only son had not been inclined to let him know. He eyed the boy curiously, as he used the moment to move past the patrol officer and approach the body. He froze a few feet before he reached it and collapsed in a fit of coughing. His eyes had been horrified then they could hear the child muttering in disbelief. He felt a huge accumulation of magic, a quick look at Shacklebolt told him the Auror felt it too and both surreptitiously put shields. And it was none too soon as the child screamed the girl’s name in pain, and despair, all the glass in the alley, windows lamps bottles exploded with great Force.
“Merlin! That child’s strong!” Kingsley muttered.
“Indeed he is. I wonder why he isn’t at Hogwarts.” He paid close attention to the boy; he was shaking and looked very ill. The patrol officer wanted to get close but neither snake nor dog let anyone close.
“Come on Freak, you can’t stay here, you’re ill.” McCloud was saying. He really wasn’t shocked about the display. Those who knew ‘the freak’ got used to strange things happening around him. What did worry him though were the tears. Street kids were though, and the boy before him among the toughest; even more than some older lads. To see him crying silently was unnerving.
“Not goin’ back to the shelter,” the boy said curtly, fighting to get back on his feet, but not strong enough to succeed.
“Let me call an ambulance, you’re too ill…”
“No, ain’t gonna leave Yass or Duds. We’ll be goin’ ‘ome.”
“What seems to be the problem officer?” Severus asked approaching them.
“Freak’s a bit ill. He knew the victim.
style=’color:navy’>I want to send him to a hospital, he needs medical attention. But his pets won’t let me close.” McCloud informed him, he sounded extremely concerned for the boy. He was rather fond of ‘the Freak’. Actually many on the force were. The child was usually quiet and he did not look for trouble, but he would defend himself if trouble looked for him.
“Freak? Aren’t you a bit harsh
calling the boy that?” The Potions Master inquired raising an eyebrow. “You are also one of the few that weren’t disturbed by all that glass breaking.”
“Freak is the name he goes by
“Professor, Professor Snape.” He supplied to the officer, there had not been time for introductions. Although he suspected there would be some due the next day as the team investigating the murders met to work.
“Professor Snape, I’ve been patrolling this sector long enough to know him. He earn
ed the name among the street kids, as strange things happen to and around him,” was his explanation. “All the glass shattering is more than usually happens, but then Freak’s mother figure has just been murdered. He really cared for that girl, has almost knifed some of the johns if they bothered her. The pets are the ones that usually do most of the damage though.”
Snape after getting a good look at the boy finally talked him into going with him. He was not about to let such a powerful young wizard go. He had to speak in parseltongue to the cobra to convince the child and agree to take both pets too. It was really cold, but he still cast a vermin repellent charm on boy and dog.
As his part on the investigation of the crime scene he drove away with the boy. In his apartment he transfigured a few papers into a bowl to give the dog some water and a math to place before the fireplace, where he lit a magical fire. With better light he realized the boy was not just sick, but badly beaten. He urged the child to the bathroom were after much discussion he ended banishing the rags he wore; and appraising the damage done. He was no medi-wizard but knew enough to heal him with potions once he got the child cleaned up. Which wasn’t all that difficult,
the boy was shocked and gaping at his display of magic and because he had not used a wand.
“Can you wash yourself or do I have to?” He sneered at the child.
“I can wash meself,” he responded affronted.
“Good, I’ll go look for something you can wear.” Then as an after thought he added. “Do you have a name? Because I don’t believe Freak is it.”
“Ewan,” he supplied after a long time, observing the man through narrowed eyes.
“Good, as I told you before, I’m Professor Snape; call me if you need help.” He offered but the boy’s eyes told him he wouldn’t call him even if he was drowning. The child was too mistrustful.
Severus left Ewan to take his shower and went to his room. A white t-shirt and he still had a package of Madame’s Roryn’s one size fits all boxers. Well, it was time to find out if that witch’s claims were true. He also got a pair of socks that would be too big, but hopefully stay on. The child needed to be warm. Not even with potions would he be healed in a day, maybe in a week if he had a strong constitution.
The Potions Master then went to his 2nd bedroom, which at the moment served as a study, and transfigured the sofa into a bed with warm blankets, started a low magical fire to warm the cold room, and rummaged in the cupboard for the potions he would need.
Ewan was starting to dry himself when the bathroom door opened and in came that weird man who called himself a wizard. He had been startled, but his eyes instantly searched for a weapon and he assumed a defensive stand.
“Relax boy. I have no intention of harming you. Here,” he placed the clothes on the counter. “Put those on, the boxers should adapt to fit. Have you had dinner yet?”
“What ar’ ye’ goin’ to ask me fer?” He asked suspiciously. Trudy had warned him to be cautious. Some of her costumers had appeared all friendly to him, but they had wanted something he wasn’t willing to give. He wasn’t ‘that’ desperate yet. Though some of the guys he knew said it wasn’t that bad and it got them a hot shower, a warm bed and a hot meal besides some money.
“Nobody asks fer nuthin’ they always want sumthin’ back.”
Well, what was he expecting; this child lived on the streets; on his own, if officer McCloud was right. He was not coddled like any of his students. He might as well come clean and hope the child accepted his deal.
“I told you I was a wizard, and have shown you proof of it,” the child nodded once. “You are a wizard too; a strong one, but you lack training. I offer you a place to live away from the streets -for you and your pets- a bed to sleep, three good meals a day, good clothes. In exchange for letting me train you… you’ll work as my assistant in the lab. I have been meaning to get an apprentice. When I finish my job here you’ll go back with me to the school I teach in. When you pass your NEWTs, then you can decide in what area you want to specialize and go on your own. I hate to see talent wasted and Merlin knows I see it every day at Hogwarts. I’m not a nice person Mr. Ewan, but I will be fair. You don’t have to answer tonight, and I won’t collect anything for feeding and keeping you here until you’re healthy.”
“Ye promise? Ye won’t ask anythin’? coz I have nuthin’,” Ewan said holding the towel close against himself. Severus frowned at the child’s antics then it dawned on him.
“If you’re worried about your virtue then don’t Mr. Ewan. I don’t fancy little boys; though I can understand that you
might have encountered some sick individuals that do.” He told the child, voice dripping sarcasm and disgust. Ewan visibly relaxed. “Now are you hungry?” The boy nodded. “Get dressed and come to the kitchen when you’re done.”
He left the child to get dressed and went to the kitchen to fix something for the both of them.